Townsites

Home       NEW Updates   About the Group          Heritage Sites         Committee          Contact Us       Terms/Conditions

CARILLA (BEAMULLA)

The place name of Pickering Brook was used. Because of its proximity to the water catchment country, settlement was not encouraged, and a named  townsite was not formed. A townsite was formed about 2 miles east on 22nd January 1922 and it was known as "Beamulla", an aboriginal word meaning "Black Cockatoo". At a meeting of the Pickering Brook Progress Association, a request was made to the Under Secretary of Land, requesting a change of name. The reply dated 26th December  1923, presented three names for consideration. The name Carilla, on the recommendation of the Surveyor General was gazetted on the 17th February 1926, replacing Beamulla. Carilla is the Aboriginal name for "running water". In 1952 the location of Carilla was cancelled and Pickering Brook formally encompassed the whole area. The town site of Pickering Brook was gazetted on 12th January 1973.

 

A EARLY MAP OF CARILLA/BEAMULLA TOWNSITE         #1

 

A 1922c MAP OF BEAMULLA TOWNSITE         #2

Note: LOT  17 marked as Hall Site

 

A 1922c MAP OF BEAMULLA TOWNSITE         #3

 

ENLARGED SECTION  1922c MAP OF BEAMULLA TOWNSITE         #4

Note:  Four Intersections  with Main Road following Millars Railway Line to Barton's Mill and rear lane at the back.

 

 

ENLARGED SECTION  1922c MAP OF BEAMULLA TOWNSITE         #5

Note: LOT  7  marked as PUBLIC UTILITY site
     LOT  8 marked as POST OFFICE site
 LOT  9 marked as HOTEL site
                         LOT 10 marked as  PUBLIC BUILDING site

 

A 1926c EARLY MAP OF CARILLA TOWNSITE         #6

 

A 1926c EARLY MAP OF CARILLA TOWNSITE  (West End)       #7

Note: Large gap between West and East ends

 

A 1926c EARLY MAP OF CARILLA TOWNSITE   (East End)        #8

Note:  LOT 914 GRAVEL PIT
                          LOT 1249  INFANT HEALTH CENTRE
   LOT 652  SCHOOL SITE
 LOT  919  HALL SITE  

 

This interesting map, taken from a copy of the Third Edition of the Perth Metropolitan Street Directory published in 1947 shows the planned townsite of Carilla clearly drawn in, with the street layout.

It shows the railway going through Pickering Brook to Canning Mills. You can clearly see the sidings of Bickley, Carmel, Pickering Brook and Canning Mills. The Pickering Brook Post Office and the School are clearly marked. The timber railway line to Barton's Mill had by this time, been removed.

The "Brook" called Pickering Brook, after which the town was named, is shown on the extreme right.

 

OLD MAP FROM THIRD EDITION OF THE PERTH METROPOLITAN STREET DIRECTORY 1947       #9

 

 

References:          Article:      Pickering Brook Heritage Group

                           Images:    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8   State Records Office
                                           9   Gordon Freegard

 

 

Copyright : Pickering Brook Heritage Group 2008-2019